Monday 29 April 2013

Gluten-Free Garage, Plus 1 Review

I've been gluten-free for nearly 3 years now, and while I feel like I generally know what's what in the world of GF, I love learning about new products and new companies. This weekend, DF and I went to the Gluten Free Garage, which was a sort of food/product expo for gluten-free companies. I wish I had some pictures to post, but I was so busy talking to people and taking business cards that I forgot all about photos.

The Gluten-Free Garage was a whirlwind of activity. There were restaurants, bakeries, personal product companies, delivery companies...pretty much everything a person could think of, plus a few more.

We spent our time sampling items, talking with business owners, and yes, loading up on delicious products on our way out. We could have easily bought one of everything there - fortunately for our bank accounts, we didn't!

Over the next few days, I'm going to reviewing the products we bought this weekend. (We also bought some new products at a store this weekend, but that's another story for another day. It was quite the GF weekend!) Let's get the reviewing started! Today I will review the burgers we had for dinner last night, from a company called Sol Cuisine.

SOL CUISINE

Sol Cuisine makes vegan burgers and other meat-substitute products. Unfortunately, my attempts to get additional info from their website has failed spectacularly (it won't load at all), so I have to go by what I remember. Their products are free of gluten, and are also vegan - I'm 99% sure all their products are vegan, not just vegetarian, but if that's wrong, please leave a note in the comments! We bought their Chia Seed vegan burgers, and had them for dinner last night. I should note, these burgers are also free of soy, which fits beautifully with the rules of the Endo Diet. Score!

I will admit they looked a little funny - real meat burgers never have the perfect circle look to them, but meatless burgers always seem to. Since there's no meat, they cooked really quickly; we cooked them on the stove for about 4 minutes per side.

I topped my burger with spinach leaves, honey mustard, pickle slices and tomato slices. I wasn't sure what to expect from this fast-cooking, perfect-circle burger...but I was pleasantly, deliciously surprised.

This burger was fantastic! I really enjoyed the texture of the patty, and the chia seeds made me feel comfortably full. (I only ate half of it - the other half is waiting in the fridge for lunch time!)

If you're wondering about the bun - we bought O'Dough's seed buns yesterday too, which we've had before and really enjoyed. Like all GF bread, they can be a bit heavy - however, they  have a nice texture, similar to egg bread.

These made for a really nice dinner; I got to enjoy a burger without suffering afterwards AND it was really, really good. Everyone wins!

Sol Cuisine makes other products, including Black Bean burgers and also Falafels. I will definitely buy these again, if I can find them! (Too bad about their website though....)

No comments:

Post a Comment