Thursday 2 May 2013

Product Review - Mad Mexican

Last post I talked about the Sol Cuisine burgers and the O'Doughs buns - both of which I've been eating all week, so they were definitely a huge hit!

Another company we learned about at the Gluten-Free Garage is one called Mad Mexican. They make tortilla chips and a variety of dips, such as salsa and guacamole.

Mr. Cee is a huge guacamole fan, so we bought a bag of tortilla chips and a tub of guac. I was impressed with how few ingredients each product had; it was all real food that was easily recognizable and also pronouncable. Always a good sign!

The tortilla chips had a very satisfying crunch to them. They were crispy, not overly salty (just enough to add a nice flavour) and though there were a bit thin, they were sturdy enough to survive dipping in the guac.

The guacamole was a fabulous colour - it looked really fresh, and I loved the consistency of it. Not too lumpy, not too runny; perfect for dipping and scooping. Usually my pet peeve about guac is that folks tend to go overboard with the cilantro, but I found Mad Mexican's guac to have a great balance to it. The cilantro flavour was there, but it wasn't overpowering; it blended very well with the other flavours. Again, with just a few natural ingredients, a fabulous flavour was produced. (Why do other companies need to put so much crap in their food? Is it really better to have 15 ingredients people can't pronounce?)

I wish we had've bought more bags of the tortilla chips, as we still have some guac left but nothing to dip. We've had to open a bag of "other" tortilla chips (which used to be my fave but I think just got bumped!) and it's just not the same.

Two big, gluten-free thumbs up to Mad Mexican!

As an aside: I got asked the other day why I'm focusing so much on gluten-free food, if this blog is supposed to be about Endo and endo-wellness. Aside from the fact that my endo has made gluten-free (and now dairy-free, and a few other things) living a necessity, I believe in the link between wellness and food. Didn't your mother tell you, "You are what you eat"? Following the Endo Diet and eating as cleanly as possible has helped me achieve better overall health, and has helped improved my Endo symptoms.

Additionally: Going gluten-free and/or following the Endo Diet can be really, really daunting. "What do you eat?" is something I get asked all the time. I've been there; it's not easy to get started. I focus so much on food because it's a huge part of our lives, it can play a huge role in our wellness, and it can be really intimidating to try to find products that taste good, meet the dietary requirements, and hopefully won't be too hard to find.

I won't always focus this much on food, but it's something I can't ever ignore. I hope at least some of you are finding the information useful. If not, keep checking back - eventually I'll get to other topics. ;)


With peace & joy,
Cher

No comments:

Post a Comment