Monday 20 May 2013

Chickpeas!

Sorry friends...it looks like I'm just destined to keep posting about food. I hope no one minds!

I've been dealing with an endo flare up since Mother's Day weekend, and food and stretching have been my saving graces. I can't not share that with you all!

First, the stretching: If you don't have a yoga ball, invest in one. Being able to stretch, on stomach AND on back, over the yoga ball, has helped me more times than I can count. Because I have rectovaginal endometriosis, I get a lot of tailbone pain, and this kind of stretching (when done gently) can do wonders. Anyway, if you haven't tried it, do I suggest it. If the pain is really bad, I find stretching over the ball with a heated up Magic Bag is a wonderful combination.

Now, on to the food!

I have always been a big "lentil/bean" person, so this is really nothing new. I've been putting chickpeas in my garden salads for years, because I love the flavour and colour, and I dig the extra protein. Yay chickpeas!

I happened upon a recipe for another salad, (trying to find the source now so I can credit it back), and I wanted to share it with you all.

CHICKPEA SALAD
1 1/2 cups diced cucumber
2 cups chopped tomato
2 15-oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp dijon mustard
3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
Dash of freshly-ground pepper

1. Combine cucumber, tomatoes, and rinsed chickpeas in a large bowl.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, and mustartd. Season with pepper, and then stir in dill.

3. Add dressing to salad and toss until well-mixed.

4. Cover, and chill at least 15 minutes before serving.

I made this tonight, and it was gorgeous. I let it chill about an hour, and I noticed a huge difference in the taste. This salad looks like it will serve 5-6 people as a side. (I also threw in some olives right before I ate it, because I have an obsession with olives...)

Chickpeas are a total powerfood, or at least they are for me. I know I've posted about chickpeas before, and I probably will again. They help my digestion, help reduce bloating, and I always feel energized and comfortably full after eating them.

Enjoy!


With peace & joy,
Cher

No comments:

Post a Comment